Social media is growing at an amazing pace. We’ve pulled together some interesting social media statistics that we’ve seen this month. Of course these figures are always on the move. Here’s our top ten!
1. Usain Bolt – ran the 100 metres in 9.63 seconds and by the time he reached the finish line over 2 million items were shared.
2. Daily Twitter – we spend an average of 23 minutes a day on Twitter.
3. Twitter quotes – journalists frequently quote tweets rather than press releases. Whitney Houston’s death was reported 27 minutes earlier than it was by the Associated Press.
4. Profiles – there are over 2.8 million social media profiles, around half of all internet users worldwide.
5. Facebook – in excess of 955 million active users, more than half of whom access Facebook on a mobile device.
6. Top Shop – is the top retailer for Facebook and Twitter followers. It has 2.4 million Facebook fans and 370,000 Twitter followers.
7. f-commerce – Facebook stores are gaining in popularity, growing by 26% in the second quarter of 2012.
8. Olympics buzz – Nike generated more tweets and pulled in more Facebook fans than official sponsor Adidas during the Games.
9. Small businesses – a quarter (24%) of UK small businesses use Facebook to market their organisations, but a third of them (37%) don’t think it has helped their business.
10. LinkedIn – gets more leads for b2b companies than Facebook, Twitter or blogs. Yet only 47% of b2b marketers say they are actively using LinkedIn vs. 90% on Facebook.
For more interesting marketing insights, check out our blog.
Share your thoughts in the comments section below or on Twitter.